28. Reading Wollen's 1993 essay THE LAST NEW WAVE (O'Pray, Michael (ed.) (1997) AVANT-GARDE FILM , University of Luton Press. ) he seems to suggest that the synthesis of the two avant-gardes was finally accomplished in the films of Derek Jarman and Peter Greenaway.
29. Paul Willemen, AN AVANT GARDE FOR THE EIGHTIES from FRAMEWORK 24 (1984)
Wollen and Willemen both wrote for SCREEN in the early '70's and Wollen, Willemen and Laura Mulvey are listed as the associate editors of Framework 24.
30. Interesting to note that the elite S.A.S. regiment was formed from an original squad of military artists called the Artists Rifles.
31.Peter Burger (1974) THEORY OF THE AVANT-GARDE, ( University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis. (22)
32. Ibid. (P.46)
33. Ibid. (P.58)
34. Renato Poggioli, THE THEORY OF THE AVANT-GARDE (1968), The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
35. Ibid. (P.52)
36. Ibid. (P.52)
38. Ibid. (P.116)
39. Robert Desnos Avant-garde Cinema originally published in Documents No.7 1929 reprinted in Hammond, Paul (E d.) (1978) THE SHADOW AND ITS SHADOW BFI , London. (P.36)
40. For detailed accounts of the Underground tradition see Stewart Home (1988) THE ASSAULT ON CULTURE, Aporia Press, London and Greil Marcus, (1990) LIPSTICK TRACES , Secker and Warburg, London.
41. "In one sense, this study means to be a vivisection or a spectroscopic analysis. I use these figurative terms to emphasise that this investigation is scientific in character,.." Poggioli.Ibid.(P3)
"Critical science does not consist in inventing new categories to set them against the 'false' ones of traditional science," Burger. Ibid.(P.4)
42. see Hobsbawm, E.J. (1973) THE AGE OF REVOLUTION , Cardinal, London. ( Chapter 3.)
43. For an account of the role of the Utopian Socialist in revolutionary French culture see Donald D. Egbert, (1970) SOCIAL RADICALISM AND THE ARTS: WESTERN EUROPE Duckworth, London.
44. Henri de Saint Simon and Leon Halevy (1825) OPINIONS LITTERAIRES, PHILOSOPHIQUES ET INDUSTRIELLES quoted in Donald D. Egbert, (1970) SOCIAL RADICALISM AND THE ARTS: WESTERN EUROPE Duckworth, London.
45. D.D.Egbert . Ibid. (P.122)