Enjoying the Imagination
and other Provocative Acts
from a talk
Rob La Frenais
on Nov 26 1996 at stalk
" I am going to be provocative, and the first provocative thing
I will do is light a candle....... ah, here we have some media.
The unpopular person who stands up for the New Age, Out-of-Bodyexperiences, Time travel.....and so on.....
* Technology is goading us to evolve beyond the monophasic culture. To return to the multiphasic.
* Artificial life as the next frontier of evolution: symbiosis of nature and paranature. The real possibility of silicon-based realities becoming closer to our own wet biology > eventual merging of the two life-forms
* Its the difficulty in curating these concepts that's breaking down the role of art: Curating itself becomes as a research tool.
* the internet is a way of modelling global synchronicity; to at last start to ritualise other forms of time, outside of linear time
* The question is what does it do to us in here, not what we do to it
* Connecting our external senses to the computer is a means of re-positioning ourselves in reality.
* Performance is key; the body is the important site.
* The Incident as a project: both as a research tool, and as a reverie inducing device
* Can art curators curate artists anymore? without adding to the End-modernist Duchampian pile-up
* In curating, how the event structure, sculpture, thing, electronic media, whatever creates a disjuncture in the time/space continuum."
Ideal Order : phychic TV zapping
Necronomi : magic and witchcraft
We are not alone : life on mars
Mythopoeia : The Making of Myth
Instructions for meeting Time Travellers
Rob La Frenais is the former Editor of performance magazine.. His recently curated projects include The Incident and Earthwire.